Asshole of the Day, December 10, 2013: John McCain
At Nelson Mandela’s memorial service today, President Obama and Raul Castro shook hands. They didn’t see each other out, but Obama was greeting every one of the dignitaries. He made no special effort for Castro. Some people might call it good manners, but not John McCain:
But McCain said Obama should not have extended his hand to Castro.
"Of course not," the senator said when asked. "Why should you shake hands with somebody who’s keeping Americans in prison? I mean, what’s the point?"
"Neville Chamberlain shook hands with Hitler," he said, referring to the British prime minister’s infamous handshake with the German dictator as Britain was negotiating Germany’s takeover of the Sudentenland. The agreement paved the way for the spread of Germany’s military across Europe.
To hear John McCain tell it, President Obama, with one handshake, just gave away southern Florida and most of the Caribbean to Cuba, which will in a few years lead to World War.
But maybe, Senator McCain, the President was just being polite at someone else’s party. No one loves a guest who comes and picks a fight with another guest, especially at a funeral. And since you’re smart enough to know the difference, even if you choose not to, well, that means you’re the one without the manners.
It is John McCain’s first time being named Asshole of the Day.
Here’s a satirical take on the conservative freakout over the Castro handshake I posted this afternoon:
- timekiller-s likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from assholeofday
- silas216 likes this
- alyseb630 reblogged this from assholeofday
- alyseb630 likes this
- thygeekgoddess reblogged this from assholeofday
- thygeekgoddess likes this
- dontgetdead reblogged this from assholeofday
- rautenrausch likes this
- ybrammer likes this
- chemman9 reblogged this from assholeofday
- princewatercress reblogged this from assholeofday
- eclecticdreamweaver likes this
- lisawithabee reblogged this from assholeofday
- arliss reblogged this from ytisonimul
- arliss likes this
- dontgetdead likes this
- piramide1 likes this
- mypantsareonfire reblogged this from assholeofday
- anne-apolis said: Just another example of the GOP blowing things way out of proportion to make the President look bad… Was McCain expecting President Obama to spit in his face, not shake his hand? WTF?!
- spiritofnlmk likes this
- klia00 likes this
- theproleteriathooligan reblogged this from assholeofday
- thenewleftworld likes this
- iammyfather reblogged this from assholeofday
- ytisonimul reblogged this from assholeofday
- ytisonimul likes this
- iknowwhythesongbirdsings likes this
- justchev likes this
- vriskapooping likes this
- silentlyexisting likes this
- naryhays likes this
- unicornbunnies likes this
- frodosbois reblogged this from assholeofday
- latherrinsemaim reblogged this from assholeofday
- movin-down-the-road said: …. and Bush did a liplock on a Saudi prince. McCain’s ALZ is kicking up.
- therodentqueen likes this
- palepeteparker likes this
- sillyfangirl reblogged this from assholeofday
- assholeofday posted this