Asshole of the Day, December 11, 2013: Bryan Fischer
Bryan Fischer is a regular here at Asshole of the Day. While he has only won four times, he is nominated almost every week for yet another ridiculously bigoted statement attempting to force his narrow view of Christianity on the country. He is a theocrat. And his latest pronouncement is particularly bad— he claims the 1st Amendment only protects Christians, not other religions:
“At the time of the founding [of the United States], 99.8 percent of the population of the colonies were Christians. The other 0.2 percent were Jews,” he said.
“But the point is, by ‘religion’ the founders were thinking of Christianity,” Fischer continued. “So the purpose was to protect the free exercise of the Christian faith. It wasn’t about protecting anything else.”
“They weren’t providing any cover or shelter for the free exercise of Islam or even Judaism or even atheism. They weren’t saying you can’t do it — I want to be clear on that — they weren’t prohibiting that, they were just saying that is not what we are talking about here.”
Fischer noted that a group of Satanists are seeking to erect a monument at the Oklahoma statehouse. The Satanists say the statehouse cannot erect a Ten Commandments monument but deny religious displays that honor other faiths.
“Here is where the definition of the word religion becomes absolutely critical,” he said. “If by ‘religion’ the founders meant Christianity, then you can ban a monument to Satan because that is not Christianity.”
“But if by ‘religion’ you mean any system of belief, whether it is Christian or not, then you have no way to tell the Satanists you can’t have your monument.”
This is so completely wrong— if one religion is allowed to erect monuments on public property or government offices but other religions are not, then the state prefers one religion and is limiting or infringing on the freedom of others to practice religion. There is then, no freedom of religion at all.
And even if we buy his premise that since the nation was mostly Christian that the Founders only protected the right of Christians to practice, then the Constitution still doesn’t allow the state to prefer one sect of Christianity over another. And that is key too, because not all Christians feel the state must erect monuments to the 10 Commandments or Nativity scenes. And then by the state doing so, it infringes on the free exercise of religion of those Christians. If there’s one thing our Founders understood, it’s that many of their ancestors had come to the New World to avoid the persecutions of one sect of Christians done by other Christians. So if the Founding Fathers wanted to only protect one religion or sect or raise it above others, THEY WOULD HAVE SPECIFIED IT. They did not. END OF STORY.
It is Bryan Fischer’s 4th time as Asshole of the Day. Previous wins were for
- claiming the Senate had been intimated into silence by the bullies and bigots of Big Gay
- claiming Obama was photoshopped into the Situation Room photo of the Bin Laden Raid
- claiming that homosexuals are just like Nazis because most Nazis were homosexual